Saturday, February 19, 2011

California Love

Kim Canine & I from La Sierra University in Riverside
Recently, I got sent on a work trip to California for a little over 2 weeks. I was pretty excited because I had never been to Cali before, but I had no idea what was in store. It might be the best place I've ever been (to date). I did a bit of a Southern California tour visiting 8 college campuses. I started at Cal State-San Bernardino, then to La Sierra University, Claremont McKenna College, Long Beach City College, Cal State-Dominguez Hills, Marymount College, Pitzer College, and finally Cal State-San Marcos. I got to meet some of my favorite administrators in person and hear how their campuses use OrgSync. It was ALOT of work, but luckily I did get a little time off to sight-see. I spent the majority of my time in the LA area, but also got to check out San Diego (thanks to bad weather in Dallas. I got "stuck" in Cali extra day). I also made some new friends along the way - which was nice because I travel by myself. It was cool getting to see parts of the city by people who actually knew where they were going. Adam, from Claremont McKenna, introduced me to the nightlife in Claremont, CA (and also to FourSquare!). I also met Leanna's cousin Vince, who let me tag along for a night out in Venice. Here are some of the big highlights from the trip -

Trying New Foods
While in California, I figured I would expand my food horizons. When I was in Riverside with the La Sierra folks, I tried thai food one day for lunch. To me, it tasted just like Chinese food, but what do I know? Then, my main contact there, Kim, took us out for sushi. I had never tried it before and was a bit hesitant. But actually, some of it wasn't that bad. Pretty good in fact. I will stay away from sushimi though for sure. I also tried Greek food while on the trip and enjoyed it.

Discovering Good Restaurants
Typically, when I'm on the road I'll eat a quick breakfast in the hotel (if I even have time), lunch on campus, then try and find a cool, local place to eat for dinner. This seems to confuse some people; Why would a twenty-something girl would be sitting alone in a restaurant eating dinner by herself? I think some assume I've been stood up. In which case, people feel sorry for me and occasionally buy me drinks. On the other hand, sometimes they feel sorry for me and insist on talking to me. I absolutely prefer the drink. Anyway, I digress...while in California I had some opportunities to try some really good restaurants! My favorites being:

1. Pablo's Restaurant  Riverside, CA  - Unique & delicious fajitas. Margarita, also tasty.
2. Heroes & Legends  Claremont, CA  -  Fun college atmosphere & really good big portions
3. Holiday Inn  Ontario, CA  -  Nicest Holiday Inn I've ever stayed in and the breakfast omelet was to-die-for!
4. Rock Bottom Brewery  Long Beach, CA  -  I've seen these in other cities but this was the first time I had dinner. The burger I had was the most incredible hamburger I've ever eaten. Probably the most fattening too. It had hashbrowns, fried egg, bacon and cheese. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.
5. King's Fish House  Long Beach, CA  -  BEST mac & cheese ever! Everything I had was delicious!
6. Las Brisas    Laguna Beach, CA  -  Amazing view of the ocean. And cool to say I had lunch in Laguna.
7. Stone Brewing Company  Escondido, CA  -  I absolutely LOVED this place! Brewery with pretty garden views, had a delicious spicy crab cake with a home brewed beer, and they had free wi-fi so I got alot of work done while sitting at the bar :)

 Incredible Views
Aside from the traffic, California was almost perfect. The weather was beautiful and warm. Pretty much everywhere I went had an awesome view of the Pacific Ocean. Even the people were more good-looking (possibly because of the focus on being skinny and countless billboards to "Get Thin!"). I was definitely enjoying the views. Whether I was actually on the beach in Venice or enjoying the scenery from the hills of Racho Palos Verdes, the blue waters of the California Coast made it hard to return back to Texas.
View from Marymount College
Venice Beach















Being a Total Tourist
The few days that I wasn't working were spent trying to soak in as many California touristy spots as I possibly could. I went to Hollywood and saw the Walk of Fame. AND, as hoped - I saw a celebrity! Not anybody huge, and I almost hit him with my rental car, but I saw Adam Goldberg! Think How to Lose a Guy in 10 days, Saving Private Ryan, Dazed & Confused. Still nothing? Remember Chandler's psycho roommate on Friends? Who put the Pepperidge Farm Goldfish in the fish tank? Yep. That guy. 


 I also got to spend some time in Santa Monica and the Venice Beach area. I saw a lot of veryyy unique characters but it was so much fun! I walked on the pier, saw Muscle Beach, and explored the 3rd Street Promenade. I got to see a bit of the nightlife in Venice with some natives which was cool. We went to a place called the Townhouse where I promptly broke a bottle on the ground and got felt up by a strange girl (who I am presuming was on drugs). She said she really liked my dress and would periodically come up behind me and feel on the fabric. All in all, it was a great experience :)

So, needless to say I had a really great time in California and I have a pretty awesome job that lets me travel! I honestly cannot wait to get back there! There is so much to do, even with two weeks there's alot more to see. Though I still hate everything about Los Angeles sports, I definitely have love for California.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Your job sounds so neat, and how great to get to travel and experience different parts of the country while you work! Love the blog! Keep 'em coming! :)
    PS-Missed you at wine night! :(

    ReplyDelete